Davey/Cristo Rey diptych, 1952
13 x 23 in
Full titles: "Cristo Rey Church" (left) and "Road to Randall Davey House" (right)
Date: October 1, 1952
Sheet dimensions: 4 x 5.5 in. each
Signature: Both signed "FFE" front, lower right
In 1921, Fremont Ellis and his friends Jozef Bakos, Walter Mruk, Willard Nash and Will Shuster founded an avant garde art society that would change Santa Fe forever. The five men were in their early 20s, and most of them had recently migrated there from the East. They chose a name inspired by their new life in the Southwest: Los Cinco Pintores (The Five Painters).
In December of that year, Los Cinco Pintores mounted their first group exhibition at the New Mexico Museum of Art. Their work was diverse in subject matter, but their rallying point was modernism and the art of early Taos artists Robert Henri and John Sloan of the Ashcan School.
These newly released works are by Ellis, who was the last surviving member of Los Cinco Pintores. Ellis grew up in Montana and was inspired to become an artist at 14 when he saw Albert Bierstadt’s paintings on a trip to New York City. He worked as a photographer in California before settling in Santa Fe, and used his photographs of landscapes to inspire his painted compositions. The art in this special collection holds the vigor and immediacy of the artist’s many outdoor adventures.
Authenticated by Bambi Ellis;
Santa Fe Private Collection
Click the image to view a larger version.